For our first race in the ‘refreshed’ Blackchrome Racing kit, we had a solid contingent out at Adelaide Hills Cycling Club‘s Old Freeway Hillclimb. AHCC is a fantastic club that provides regular and inclusive road racing, offering several road races a month to cyclists aged 19 and above.
The Old Freeway Hillclimb should be familiar to most who have cycled in Adelaide, with this particular route variation starting at the ‘Kennels’ and finishing at the top of Blackburn Drive. In effect, that shifts the start line back and while moving the finish line to the top of a very steep road that is past the typical ‘bollards’ finish point.
We had a number of great results from those that raced with a win and several podium placings – which were all the more impressive given the quality and depth of the fields racing. In grade order:
- Jimmy Wade – 18:41 – 1st place in C1, posting a faster climb time than the B grade winner and 8th overall
- Adam Bowey – 19:37 – 4th in C1 and 11th overall
- Michael Man – 20:26 – 2nd in C2
- Paul Pearce – 20:49 – 3rd in C2
- Simon Veitch – 22:16 – 8th in C2
- Alison Skinner – 22:43 – 6th in D1
- Michael Tozer – 24:22 – 3rd in D2
- Adam Spry – 24:55 – 4th in D2
Overall a very pleasing result on a challenging hillclimb from the group and one that we can build on as the season progresses.